[CentOS-mirror] push based mirroring

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Fri May 15 15:01:35 UTC 2009

On 05/14/2009 11:17 AM, Manuel Wolfshant wrote:
>> Has anyone given though to doing mirror updates via a 'push' rather than
>> a 'pull' mechanism ?
>      The idea itself is nice, but some mirrors need to do the "pull" at
> specific moments in time.

Absolutely, I dont see the process as its now, going away in a hurry.
However, if we did setup a mechanism for mirrors to sign up for an
update push, when there was an update due, and then ask those mirrors to
reduce their regular pull-mirroring down to perhaps once every 96 hrs,
would many people opt in ?

It address's the issue of just-in-time-pushing and saving excessive b/w
and cpu loads caused on the upstream mirros by regular rsyncs. Plenty of
people hit the main msync targets 4 - 6 sometimes 8 times a day. The
load on this caused by 200+ mirrors is non-trivial. Also, there is an
issue that sometimes critical updates dont make it out for hours, since
we must wait for mirrors to pull and finish. Push, should, in theory
atleast address some of these issues.

Then there is -c issue. Would be nice if some portions of the tree's
were run with the '-c' option set, its not something we can even look at
with the pull model.

- KB