[CentOS-mirror] DOS attack downloading DVD isos

Clarkson University Mirror Admin mirror-admin at cslabs.clarkson.edu
Fri Nov 20 01:36:51 UTC 2009

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 6:50 PM, Bob Bownes <bownes at gmail.com> wrote:

> Anyone else seeing high numbers of requests for the DVD isos from a few
> discrete locations? I'm getting multiple requests for dvd's from over 500
> separate locations.
>
> Top 10 offenders:
>
>    5502 59.37.17.20
>    6616 123.127.231.205
>    6662 122.205.13.1
>    6993 218.69.255.86
>    7137 210.22.151.90
>    7648 p108.net059086006.tnc.ne.jp
>    8809 114.92.117.186
>   10262 210.72.27.62
>   11409 114.255.44.131
>   13682 221.10.84.188
>
> Been going on for about the last 24 hours.
>
> Thanks,
> Bob

Bob,

Nice catch.  I'm seeing some of the same IPs (listed below) on my mirror as
well.  I'm not sure whether I should block them or not though because I'd
prefer not block people actually getting the ISOs but I also don't need
bandwidth being consumed for no good reason since my mirror is already
maxing out it's caps.

Matt

6272  122.205.13.1  http 206
1519  114.92.117.186   200