[CentOS-mirror] New mirror

J.H. warthog9 at kernel.org
Fri Oct 23 21:21:46 UTC 2009

I would generally caution saying that, even the largest mirrors don't
take these numbers lightly

- Centos' archive is 333G of data
- Centos' primary mirroring is 162G of data
- A single release (5.4) uses 32G of disk

Ignoring bandwidth (that's a lot harder to argue what's useful or not,
though I'd personally say mirrors should start around 100mbps unless
they are in a country without a mirror and than anything goes), and
making the assumption that your only mirroring centos you now need ~500G
of disk space and a machine with 32G - 24G of ram to be able to serve
this well.

Why the disk space?
	That's obvious

Why the ram?
	This is something everyone forgets, but it basically boils down
	to the minute you have to start going to disk for your working
	set you will lose when faced with a horde of people trying to
	get data.  If you have less memory than your working data set
	(in the case of Centos 5.4 it's 32G) than your going to be
	thrashing against disk, and ultimately no matter how much
	bandwidth you have you will be limited by the speed that you can
	get that data off of disk.

	Now ram has gotten cheaper, thankfully, but I'm just talking
	about Centos on a mirror, most mirrors have more than just
	Centos on them.  Case in point I have:
		- archlinux
		- centos
		- cpan
		- debian
		- fedora
		- fedora-epel
		- gentoo
		- gnu
		- LDP
		- mandriva
		- moblin
		- oldlinux
		- opensuse
		- redhat
		- slackware
		- suse
		- ubuntu

	Want to guess what my *daily* working data set is?  Want to
	guess what my working data set is when a release happens?  Want
	to guess wat my working data set is when *MULTIPLE* releases
	happen simultaneously?  the answer to some of those is: they
	don't make boxes with enough ram to support that yet, or at
	least that are within the wildest budgetary constraints of a
	mirror.

My argument about getting rid of the CD ISOs isn't about the disk space,
though that's a valid point (good fast disk is expensive - a 450G 15K
rpm sas drive currently runs $400+ /ea - thats expensive storage), my
argument about killing the CD ISOs is one from a ram perspective, though
looking at my disk usage right now I might be making the disk argument
in the near future:

/dev/md0              5.5T  4.2T  1.3T  77% /home/mirrors

- John 'Warthog9' Hawley