[CentOS-mirror] Chinese IPs - Mirror Stats

Prof. P. Sriram sriram at ae.iitm.ac.in
Fri Jan 22 12:11:17 UTC 2010

On Fri, 22 Jan 2010, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> On 01/22/2010 08:43 AM, Prof. P. Sriram wrote:
> > We had a similar issue at the centos (and other stuff) mirror at
> > ftp.iitm.ac.in some months ago. We have solved it effectively using per ip
> > connection limit and fail2ban.
>
> The problem with this is that you have efectively made your mirror non
> usable for office's and orgaisations that only have 1 ip address to the
> world. There are quite a few of them.

I believe a correction might be in order - we have made it non-usable for
those that have 1 ip address and want to download at a rate exceeding 5
active connections per minute. Do you know of any such organizations?
Shouldn't they be enhancing their connectivity?

> This sort of a pricess would work better if it was to check and only
> work against an ip of its the same filename being requested rather than
> overall connections.

If you know of any package that provides this enhanced functionality, I
would be happy to implement that instead of our current scheme.

--
sriram