[CentOS-mirror] IRC meeting regarding new mirroring system for CentOS

Jonathan Thurman JThurman at nwresd.k12.or.us
Wed Nov 10 12:07:49 EST 2010

> Might be that your case would be handled just automatically.

[snip]

> Is that the situation, or did I guess it incorrectly? Are there further
> networks that need consideration? Are the results which I described
> above how you want it to be?

While these examples are very interesting and show a lot of thought in the design of Mirror Brain, I think you may be missing the point.  I see it as being able to control your own traffic.  Right now there is really no control for anyone without going through the primary contacts.  While it appears that 95% of the time no manual modification would be required, there will always be exceptions people would like to make for some obscure reason.  In the last example (trimmed out) the GeoIP data might show two sites as closer, but in reality the WAN connections between them may be really different.

For example: GeoIP/AS data doesn't let you see peering relationships.  From a cost point of view, it may be more beneficial to have a netblock under your AS use a mirror over a peer connection than your own mirror over transit/T-1 backside connection.

This is one area where MirrorManager also falls short.  You can specify your own mirrors, but not those of peers to use as a primary/secondary for a netblock.

-Jonathan