[CentOS-mirror] New Mirror: mirror.ancl.hawaii.edu

Warren Togami Jr. wtogami at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 06:11:34 EDT 2011

On 8/3/2011 12:05 AM, Warren Togami Jr. wrote:

> Matt Domsch wrote some exciting new features including multiple named
> ASN and netblock support in the upcoming MirrorManager 1.4. It should be
> in production for Fedora and EPEL this month. After that stabilizes, it
> should be perfect for CentOS.
>
> Warren

Is the fastestmirror plugin default on CentOS?

If so, that breaks the preferred ordering method of MirroManager, but we
could make a simple modification to fastestmirror to solve that issue.
We can have MirrorManager put a particular keyword in the topmost
comment.  If fastestmirror sees that keyword, it knows the mirrorlist is
ordered purposefully and just uses it.

So the majority of clients are given random mirrors in their region, and
fastestmirror does its connect test.

Other clients are given from MirrorManager a preferred mirror, then
fastestmirror knows not to question it.  If the preferred mirror is
down, MirrorManager knows it is down because it does regular crawling,
so it wont be displayed as preferred.  Then fastestmirror can do its
thing on the random list sans preferred.

Tiny change to fastestmirror can make all the difference.

Warren