[CentOS-mirror] Question about Mirror load Ddistribution

John Ricketts john at quintex.com
Sun Aug 26 11:12:13 EDT 2012

Thank you :-)

On Aug 26, 2012, at 10:10, "Anssi Johansson" <centos at miuku.net> wrote:

John Ricketts kirjoitti:
> I am curious about how the mirrors are load balanced...
>
> For example, when I do my own "yum update" on the very machine that
> hosts the mirror, it determines that my localhost machine isn't the
> fastest site. In fact, I don't get as much traffic as I had anticipated
> in general.
>
> If this is explained elsewhere, please excuse my not RTFM'ing.

For those using the yum-fastestmirror plugin, the fastest mirror is
determined by the time it takes to resolve the mirror name and to
connect to the server's TCP port. In particular, it does not measure the
bandwidth from the mirror. This method isn't perfect, but it does
usually pick one of the nearest mirrors. Sometimes there are some
oddities, as you have noticed.

Try sort -k 2 /var/cache/yum/x86_64/6/timedhosts.txt or sort -k 2
/var/cache/yum/timedhosts.txt , those commands will list the connection
times to the mirrors yum knows about, sorted by measured connection time.

http://miuku.net/tmp/testconnectiontime.py.txt can be used for running
connection time benchmarks on your own. That script has been extracted
from yum-fastestmirror.