[CentOS-mirror] Mirror Selections

Seamus Ryan s.ryan at uber.com.au
Mon Dec 10 13:26:58 UTC 2012

When I raised the issue of mirror distribution several months ago, it was identified that the main reason you don't always land at your mirror is because the CentOS mirror distribution is based on a number of "random" aspects. From memory it was a combination of latency + round robin. As a result, you should land at your mirror most (but not all) of the time.

You would see the likes of epel always land at your mirror because they use Mirror Manager (My assumption here being that you have told them your IP ranges so your client IP's are always told to go to your mirror, unless it is outdated).

There were plans to move CentOS mirrors to mirror manager but I am not sure how far away this was.

Regards,
Seamus