[CentOS-mirror] Mirror is not getting listed in the mirrorlist

Anssi Johansson centos at miuku.net
Tue Oct 1 12:50:28 UTC 2013

Vahan Yerkanian kirjoitti:
> Hi,
>
> I've just noticed that our local mirror, centos.mirrors.arminco.com
> is not being included in the mirrorlist script's output, f.e.
> http://mirrorlist.centos.org/?release=6&arch=x86_64&repo=os
>
> I believe something's wrong with the geomirror rules, as I've tried
> several Armenian IP ranges, and none get the local mirror in the output.

I can see the mirror in the output of

curl -4 'http://mirrorlist.centos.org/?release=6&arch=x86_64&repo=os&cc=am'

so the IPv4 mirrorlist server knows that your mirror is an Armenian
mirror. Some examples of those several Armenian IP ranges might be
helpful in diagnosing the problem. The IPv4 address 195.250.65.20 of
centos.mirrors.arminco.com seems to be properly registered as an
Armenian IP on MaxMind, based on http://www.maxmind.com/en/geoip_demo

I believe the mirrorlist service uses the MaxMind database for
determining the country. I don't know how often the mirrorlist server
fetches updates to the database, though.

It also looks like your mirror has an IPv6 address,
2001:4d00:10:7:195:250:65:20. Oddly enough your mirror seems to serve
different content depending on IP version:

$ curl -4 http://centos.mirrors.arminco.com/
(a directory listing of CentOS version 2.1 through 6.4)

$ curl -6 http://centos.mirrors.arminco.com/
Welcome to ARMINCO Global Telecom's public mirror services
Currently this server provides public Armenian mirrors for the following
projects:

$ curl -4 http://centos.mirrors.arminco.com/TIME
1380626641

$ curl -6 http://centos.mirrors.arminco.com/TIME
404 Not Found
The requested URL /TIME was not found on this server.

Because the IPv6 mirror checker has been unable to retrieve any files
from the mirror over IPv6, your mirror does not get listed in the output of

curl -6 'http://mirrorlist.centos.org/?release=6&arch=x86_64&repo=os&cc=am'

Fixing this problem might help with your mirror not showing up on the
list of mirrors. You can see on http://miuku.net/ipv6reach/ that your
mirror is unreachable from all locations (=monitoring modes are unable
to fetch the TIME file).