[CentOS-mirror] Important notification for the (7) upcoming release (part 2)

Tue Jun 17 20:41:17 UTC 2014
Fabian Arrotin <fabian.arrotin at arrfab.net>

(Starting a new thread, instead of answering individually all previous
mails in the other thread)

Just to let you know that I've read all mails (until $now) from people
who have participated in the other thread. I've verified all IPs and
modified when needed (change is not *yet* implemented, will probably be
pushed tomorrow).

I'd like though to confirm two things :

* actually, the process I used to generate the "whitelist" is the
following : doing a dns lookup to have the IP (or list of IPs, CNAME)
for the hostname mentioned in the mirror URL. I'm *not* using that
single IP (or list of IPs when multiple A records are found for that
hostname) but a whole /24 subnet (as we were anticipating people using
sometimes a different IP for outgoing connections). So, except if you're
using an outgoing IP *outside* of the /24 subnet in which your mirror
resides, you don't need to send a mail to the list

* second point is that I've received a question about the fact that
msync machines will remain 'closed' for non-public mirrors for the
future. That's a situation we'll evaluate after Seven will be released
and the msync nodes (mirror/rsync) being stabilized. Normally, those
nodes are served to seed public mirrors, so that users can receive their
install trees/updates faster. The fact that more and more people don't
use the public mirrors, but decide to use the "upstream" servers (maybe
thinking they'll get it faster) forces us to limit rsync connections
from "known" public mirrors.
As said, that's a situation we'll evaluate later.

Cheers,

--
Fabian Arrotin
gpg key: 56BEC54E | twitter: @arrfab