[CentOS-promo] FrOSCon 2008

Dag Wieers dag at centos.org
Thu Apr 10 14:35:35 UTC 2008

On Thu, 10 Apr 2008, Andreas Rogge wrote:

> I don't have any idea if a devroom is a good idea or not. However, I feel
> that running a devroom and especially doing discussion there is a general
> issue on every event.
> People want to attend presentations, they should take part in discussion and
> somebody has to man the booth.
> So what I'd suggest is that we do not have any "official" CentOS discussion
> during the day, so we still have enough people to man the booth even when
> someone wants to attend a presentation.

I think I agree :)

> The downside is that we'd have to do the discussion in the morning or in the
> evening. As I don't like to get up even earlier (I guess most people will
> agree) we'd have to do the discussion in the evening.
> For most events that means the devrooms are closed (because the whole event
> site is closed) and usually people are hungry and want to go to dinner.
>
> So I guess the best way to run a working discussion (i.e. one where everybody
> can attend and nobody is waiting for food) would be in the evening during and
> after dinner. This would require a bit more organization concerning the
> dinner, because whoever organizes the dinner would have to make sure that the
> enviroment is discussion-friendly.
>
> What would be required imo are quiet surroundings (i.e. not dozens of
> uninvolved people talking in the background), a table where everyone can see
> everybody's face (possibly a round table) and of course the optional, but
> highly recommended WiFi.
> I think it should be possible to find a place offering all that near every
> event site as long as we have someone living near there who can organize the
> event.
> After all, that means we'd have to find someone who organizes the evening
> event(s) ahead of time, but I think that should be doable.

I agree we should consider FrOSCon an event for users and potential users,
and keep an internal meeting seperate and at a different time/location ?

And maybe we should consider doing the same for FOSDEM in the future.

Thanks for the offer ! Let's see how many CentOS people are interested to
come ?

PS Are you interested in organising the booth ? Since it is close to where
you live and you speak German there is less confusion ? If not I will do
best-effort like last year :-)