[CentOS-promo] Fosdem 2008 status

Andreas Rogge a.rogge at solvention.de
Fri Jan 18 10:13:04 UTC 2008

First of all: Sorry for joining the discussion at this late point.

Tim Verhoeven schrieb:
> On Jan 16, 2008 4:33 PM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org> wrote:
>> Tim Verhoeven wrote:
>>> I was planning to only talk about deployment (so not about config
>>> management). But I'll leave the subject for you then, I'll brainstorm
>>> about something else to talk about.
>> One of the other things that would be good to get out there is how
>> people and projects might use CentOS as a platform to deliver their own
>> apps.
Yes, that would be great. The Problem with CentOS always is that I don't
have any idea what to talk about... CentOS is never "new" and
"exciting", but showing that it is a stable and solid platform for
application development and deployment is probably a great thing.

>> Perhaps what we could do is something like this :
>>
>> Tim does Virt talk
>>
>> Tim + KB do a tutorial on howto get mass deployment going using cobbler
>> + Virt
If you're interested, I could probably add a few words about
configuration management and puppet here...

>> KB does talk on howto use centos as a platform.
>>

>> I think since its a devroom - a tutorial would be good. however, its
>> always nice to have the audience with laptops or machines that they can
>> pluginto some network and join the effort and play along. Not sure how
>> that might go down. Also, there might be an issue that just 2 of us
>> might not be able to cover the entire room ( if we have more than 10 -
>> 12 people attending ) - so we might need a few more people to help with
>> the tutorial.
If we really want to do something like a "deployment workshop" we should
actually split the talks itself and the workshop, so people who aren't
interested in the real workshop can still attend the talk.

>> I would really like something interactive like that though.
>
> Great idea, I'm up for that. I always like the more interactive
> sessions so this sound a ideal way. I propose we get together on IRC
> or something to work this out in more detail.
>
> Regards,
> Tim

I'd volunteer to help out with the tutorial. I feel that have decent
knowledge of kickstart and xen, however - i haven't had a chance to look
into cobbler itself. If we want to add configuration management to the
whole session I'd also volunteer to prepare stuff for a simple scenario

If we really plan to do a tutorial with three or more people, we should
definitely make up a scenario beforehand so every "tutor" can actually
make sure he or she knows what will be done.
In fact I'd probably be quite lost if I get to Fosdem an Karanbir or Tim
tell me that we're going to do Oracle RAC mass deployment... :)
Maybe we should deploy something everybody probably already knows and
deployed manually, like a LAMP system, a Workstation or maybe a
CentOS-Mirror :)
If the scenario is simple enough (and time isn't too short), maybe we
could even deploy two or three types of systems, or maybe even something
that we can show off at the end of the session (maybe a distcc builder
or a really simple shared-nothing-cluster?).

Regards,
Andreas

--
Solvention