[CentOS-promo] FrOSCon: Information and Request

Dag Wieers dag at centos.org
Thu Jul 17 11:50:12 UTC 2008

On Thu, 17 Jul 2008, Marcus Moeller wrote:

>>  If you give me your wiki login I can give you write access on the FrOSCon
>>>>

>>> My wiki account is MarcusMoeller. But my first question is: because Tim
>>> does
>>> not take part does not mean that the booth on FrOSCon is canceled?!
>>>

>> No, we only commit to a booth if we are certain we can keep it open
>> (usually that means 2 or 3 persons guarantee to be present). If only one
>> person commits to a booth, he needs to be there _all_ the time and that is
>> practically impossible (depending on the kind of event).
>
> Okay. I could definitly take part. It would be great if someone else could
> spend some time at the booth.

Of course, did you look at the wiki page ?

There are already 3 people for the booth, with you that makes 4.

>>> I could also provide a Desktop PC and a TFT for presentation.  Maybe I can
>>> prepare some cool CentOS stickers.
>>>

>> That would be really nice. I would like to have 2 kinds of stickers:
>>
>>  - stickers to put on the back of your laptop to promote CentOS
>
> I am going to work on these kind of stickers first. I think they should only
> show the CentOS logo and maybe the CentOS font. I will try out what looks
> best.

A slogan or something that catches the eye would be good. But a contest is
probably best to have at least some choice between designs. If it can be
funny, witty, attractive and cool, then maybe even non-CentOS users are
interested to get one.

>>  - small stickers to put below your keyboard to replace the Windows, Intel
>>   or Nvidia sticker. (CentOS Inside)
>
> These are special kind of stickers. Most case badges have a kind of metallic
> effect. I am going to ask a friend of mine who is preparing Ubuntu case
> stickers (
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MassachusettsTeam/Projects/AluminiumCaseBadges?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=ubcd.png)
> and ask him if he could help us out.

We have had case stickers. But case stickers are usually quite thick,
square and do not match the stickers that are on laptops by default. I
don't care about case stickers, laptop stickers get more exposure than
case stickers.

>> However it is very important that for these stickers they do not damage the
>> property. So it depends on the adhessive used.
>>
>> We do have a small budget (from media donations) that we can spend on this.
>> If we want to go for a larger amount to drop the costs we have to ask the
>> CentOS project for a budget. I would prefer the second option.
>
> I am going to sponser the first set of 'large' stickers.

Thanks !

>> Also, I would not just give stickers away because people than take them.
>> What we really should do is give a sticker only to people that can proof
>> they are already running CentOS and/or if they put it on a computer in our
>> presence.
>>
>> And if they want more than one, we can ask for a donation to cover our
>> expenses. I think that would work quite well and introduce funny scenes at
>> the booth.
>
> This could be an option, put I would suggest to give them away for about
> 0,50 EUR. That's what KDE did last year, too.

If you make a price you are selling them and that is what we explicitely
do not want to do. At some conferences you cannot sell and it is better to
have people think about the value to them and think about sponsoring.

So asking for a donation to cover the costs usually is nicer.