[CentOS-promo] Some thougts about the ToDo List

Dag Wieers dag at centos.org
Mon Jun 16 16:11:49 UTC 2008

On Mon, 16 Jun 2008, Bill Quinn wrote:

> Dag
>
> Agree that the list needs to include big and small companies - provide
> choice for the end user. Donations / paid for is difficult as you said -
> a suggestion is a % donation on each support deal done.

All that has been discussed. A percentage however is very hard to enforce.
I am even not completely sure that we need to monetize on the list, but
this is not in my hands and I am not interested to spend any more of my
time to bring it up on meetings if the people that decide are not
interested.

> As to why commercial support of CentOS as opposed to RHEL? Many reasons
> - cost savings, enhanced support, local / in country support, remote
> problem resolution are just a small handful.

You do not have to convince me. Outside of Red Hat's reign there are many
services to provide to CentOS users. Although one very important part of
the support is that Red Hat is the only party that can fix problems
inside CentOS and I think we need to be honest about that as well.