[CentOS-promo] Next Newsletter release

Ernesto Celis celisdelafuente at gmail.com
Sun Sep 20 00:13:54 UTC 2009

2009/9/18 Marcus Moeller <mail at marcus-moeller.de>

> Dear Ernesto.
>
> >> - What sort of people are there now
> >> - What kinds of people do you expect along the way
> >> - Maybe some tips on what to do if there is no one active in that
> >> channel and someone needs help
> >>  etc
> >
> > Draft is beign reviewed by community members, I hope we are still in
> time.
> > This thing has been too fast besides real life and some networks
> conectivity
> > problems. In a couple of hours I'll be sending you the final text.
>
> No problem.
>
> Just send the draft as reply to this thread or to my personal mail account.

Next is the copy and paste of the text, it was writen in spanish language to
allow other members to review it and then I translated it to English. Please
feel free to use any language you prefer.

---- Beigins english text ----

CentOS is written with ñ

Culturally people with Latin heritage conforms participatory and vibrant
communities, in the case of CentOS users who speak Spanish this is no
different, since I started to use CentOS as an alternative to RHEL 3 in
2005, I found among the CentOS spanish speaking users a bunch of people who
daily contribute a little of his time to translate the pages of the project,
help others to resolve doubts or simply chat about the topic that interests
us.

Serve these letters as a sample of the work and interest that members in the
CeñtOS community give to this great distribution.

support where the efforts of Alain Reguera (Cuba) and Ernesto Perez
(Ecuador) focus to provide in centos.org spaces that we spanish speaking
users deserve; exist on the network alternate locations as
http://ecualug.org, http://www.alcancelibre.org
<http://www.alcancelibre.org/> and http://www.centos-es.org/ that have
howto's and forums also involving members of this community, this resources
along the wiki are sites of reference for new users in the mailing list.

After a meeting on FreeNode IRC channel (#centos-es), was agreed to review
the status of the wiki that is translated into Spanish for the most part,
but we need to keep it up to date, Promo and Contribute sections need to be
complemented and section Learning is nonexistent; documentation translated
CentOS Spanish is an important point and we are now looking how to divide
the work among the human resources we have.

Roger Peña Ernesto Perez and manage the mailing list, where in a friendly
environment experienced users lends support to the newcomers, who in many
cases have chosen CentOS as a first approach to GNU/Linux either because job
needs or simply for the reputation of stability and long term support that
CentOS provides. This list is the meeting point of our community besides to
providing support the centos-es mailing list is where we discuss issues
concerning the community and how we are going to contribute to the project.

Gino Alania (Peru) is the founder in charege for channel #centos-is
irc.freenode.net which in recent times has been somewhat abandoned; but
thanks to a suggestion by Enrique Quezada (Chile) through the mailing list
#centos-is the channel has come alive in recent days and we want to keep it
as channel
of immediate support and to communicate more expeditiously, given the nature
of communications on IRC. Nicks as epe, ecelis, gin0, K|Ke and others are
loged in as long as possible to offer support to the newcomers and share
ideas of our distribution.

The CentOS-speaking community is interested in working to the version 2 of
web site. Enrique Quezada Eduardo Grosclaude have proposed the inclusion of
an spanish language forum on centos.org, on the subject there have been some
threads on mailing list but we haven't reached a final point of agreement.

In these short paragraphs I aimed at providing a quick look at the spanish
speaking community of CentOS. As you noticed, we have long time users of
this distribution and we all are committed to participate in the project to
maintain it and help new users along the way.

Ernesto Celis (Mexico)

--- Begins spanish text

CentOS se escribe con ñ

Culturalmente las personas con herencia latina formamos comunidades
participativas y vibrantes, en el caso de los usuarios de CentOS que
hablamos español esto no es diferente; desde que empecé a usar CentOS como
alternativa a Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3 en 2005, encontré entre los
usuarios de CentOS un puñado de personas que día a día contribuyen con un
poco de su tiempo para traducir las páginas del proyecto, ayudar a otros a
solventar dudas o sencillamente charlar sobre el tema que nos interesa.

Sirvan estas letras como una muestra del trabajo e interés que los miembros
de la comunidad CeñtOS prestan a esta gran distribución.

soporte donde se concentran los esfuerzos de Alain Reguera (Cuba) y Ernesto
Pérez (Ecuador) para que centos.org cuente con los espacios que los usuarios
de habla hispana, merecemos; existen en la red lugares alternos comohttp://
ecualug.org, http://www.alcancelibre.org y http://www.centos-es.org/ que
cuentan con howto's y foros donde también participan miembros de esta
comunidad y son junto a la wiki sitios de referencia para nuevos usuarios en
la lista de correo.

A raíz de una reunión en en canal IRC FreeNode (#centos-es), se acordó
revisar el estado de la wiki en

español que esta traducida en su mayor parte, pero hace falta mantenerla al
día, las secciones Contribute y Promo necesitan complementarse y la sección
de Aprendizaje es inexistente; la documentación de CentOS traducida al
español es un punto importante y ahora estamos buscando como repartir el
trabajo entre los recursos humanos que tenemos.

Ernesto Pérez y Roger Peña administran la lista de correo, donde en un
ambiente amistoso se presta ayuda a los recién llegados, que en muchos casos
eligen CentOS como primer acercamiento a GNU/Linux ya sea por necesidades
laborales o simplemente por la reputación de estabilidad y soporte de
CentOS. Es esta lista el punto de encuentro de nuestra comunidad, donde
además de brindar soporte se discuten los temas que conciernen a la
comunidad en general y ¿cómo queremos contribuir al proyecto?.

Gino Alania (Perú) es el founder responsable del canal #centos-es en
irc.freenode.net que en últimos tiempos ha estado un poco abandonado; pero
gracias a una sugerencia de Enrique Quezada (Chile) a través de la lista de
correo #centos-es ha cobrado vida en los últimos días y queremos conservarlo
como canal de soporte inmediato y una forma más expedita para comunicarnos,
dada la naturaleza de la comunicación en IRC. Nicks como epe, ecelis, gin0,
K|Ke y otros estamos el mayor tiempo posible ahí, para brindar ayuda a los
recién llegados y compartir ideas de nuestra distribución.

La comunidad CentOS de habla hispana está interesada en contribuir al
proyecto trabajando en la versión 2 del sitio web de la distribución. Han
habido propuestas de parte de Enrique Quezada y Eduardo Grosclaude para
montar un foro en español y también algunas discusiones en la lista de
correo centos-es, pero no se ha llegado todavía a un punto de acuerdo final.

En estos breves párrafos pretendí ofrecer una mirada rápida a la comunidad
de habla hispana de CentOS. Como puedes darte cuenta, hace tiempo somos
usuarios de esta distribución y estamos comprometidos a participar en el
proyecto para mantenerla y ayudar a los nuevos usuarios.

Ernesto Celis (México)

-- Ends text

I am going to take care of it, then.

> Best Regards