[CentOS-virt] open-vm-tools for latest CentOS-4 and CentOS-5 kernel-vms

John Thomas gmane-2006-04-16 at jt-socal.com
Mon Dec 31 21:53:05 UTC 2007

Johnny Hughes said the following on 12/31/2007 11:37 AM:
<snip>
> The open-vm-tools are available here:
> http://people.centos.org/~hughesjr/open-vm-tools/
> The purpose of these RPMS (open-vm-tools) is to replace the VMware-Tools
> RPMS that come with VMWare.
> Please remove VMWare-Tools inside the VM if you are going to install
> these open-vm-tools for testing.
Thank you for these.
May I ask the costs and benefits?  Following are my guesses and hopes:

My Guesses:
Benefits:
   Easier to install, just toss into repo and yum install NAME
Costs:
   None

My Hopes:
Benefits:
   Easier to install, will be in CentOS repo with vm kernels
   No need to run vmware-config-tools.pl after kernel upgrade
   Time syncing is somehow better
   Johnny will personally help you with all your computer problems (just
kidding)
Costs:
   None

--