[CentOS-virt] New to the list ... Looking for anyrecommendations inre: VMWare Vs. Xen

Fabian Arrotin fabian.arrotin at arrfab.net
Fri Nov 9 21:22:49 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-11-09 at 14:40 -0600, Holtz,Robert wrote:
> Scott,
>
> Thanks for your input.  The article was a good read.
>
> Reference: Athlon 64 x2 system with 8GB of memory.
>
> I've got a few issues that have me vacillating:
> - Ease of use, i.e., I'm being lazy and customizations can be time consuming. :)
> - Xen being built into the CentOS build is a large positive factor.
> - Xen's Express version limitations: 4GB RAM and 4 VM. Bad thing.
> - Windows 2003 Server is one Guest OS.  There will be several of these, i.e., an M$ infrastructure.
Then forget about Xen (just my opinion) , i mean Xen without proprietary
drivers for the emulated nics, scsi controllers etc ...
I've seen during my tests that it's faster to run a Windows (with the
freely available/included vmware guest drivers) box inside of Vmware
server than the same Windows (without any optimized drivers, because not
availble) in Xen ...
I know that such 'accelerated' drivers for Xen are available from
Xensource and were announced also by Novell (for a annual price of 300
$ / guest iirc ! , to be verified though).
Red Hat announced the same thing (no prices yet) for the xen optimized
drivers for unmodified OSes for 5.1 ...

> - *nix variants: Solaris and Fedora.
> - The version of VMWare is the freebie.  The unmodified OS support is a big plus.
>
> I guess I could run two Linux on Linux VM's and have two Xen hosts running to get around their limitations?
>
> This does seem a bit obsessive though! ;)

my 0.02 $ ...
--
Fabian Arrotin <fabian.arrotin at arrfab.net>
Solution ?