[CentOS-virt] Xen/VMWare Server comparison and "best Xen practices"?

Daniel de Kok danieldk at pobox.com
Mon Oct 15 19:04:43 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-10-15 at 14:50 -0400, Scott Dowdle wrote:
>  Sorry for butting in with some ideas that might be considered off topic
>  for your particular discussion but you sound like perfect customer for
>  OS Virtualization.  Although running OpenVZ (or Linux-VServer) would
>  be going outside of the official CentOS repositories (and upstream)...
>  since you want to run Linux on Linux with no need to run different
>  kernels... and are seeking performance... I'd recommend you give the
>  OS Virtualization guys (aka containers aka security contexts) a try.

According to their (OpenVZ) installation guide, you still need to turn
off SELinux. If you will be using virtualization run net-facing daemons,
I'd think twice before deploying OpenVZ. Besides that it provides less
isolation. Every virtual machine is running the same kernel, a kernel
vulnerability may be enough to break out of a virtual machine.

Besides that, as you already mentioned. With OpenVZ you are on your own,
it's not CentOS anymore.

-- Daniel