[CentOS-virt] Re: Device 0 (vif) could not be connected. Hotplug scripts not working.

Pierre-Philipp Braun pbraun at wda-fr.org
Tue Apr 15 10:14:51 UTC 2008

I digged some more, I'm comming closer to an explanation.  It's not only
vif which is failing.  If I comment vif= in VM's config, either vbd
(file:..hda) or tap (tap:aio:..xvda) fails.

udev and supposedly other programs have some issues here as I used yum
--installroot=/data/vmname/loop/ to install virtual machines manually,
without any installer.
Some rpm's postinstall scripts have probably altered the dom0 instead of
installroot's directory.

Maybe I should have used rinse (@xen-tools.org) instead of my own script
(MAKEDEV -d and yum --installroot) although I think the postinstall
scripts shouldn't alter the underlying system when --installroot is
specified.  Anyways, how to fix udev ?  rpm -ivhF (and -ivhf) +
udevd/haldaemon restart didn't help.  Note xen-backend.rules is in place.

P.S. playing with udev made the machine unavailable during a few seconds
(when dealing with the network interfaces I guess), but then continued.

--
Pierre-Philipp Braun