[CentOS-virt] how to monitor each VM's traffic?

Rudi Ahlers rudiahlers at gmail.com
Fri Aug 8 13:49:20 UTC 2008

On Fri, Aug 8, 2008 at 3:47 PM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org> wrote:

> Rudi Ahlers wrote:
>
>> Sure, that's for XEN, but it's not very effective. I need graph the
>> traffic for each VM, not the vif - the vifs tend to change on a reboot,
>> and also reset with the stats.
>>
>> How can I graph the traffic over a perioud of time, for any given IP
>> address?
>>
>> Cacti works well, for switches & routers, but I can't get Cacti to graph
>> an individual VM on the server.
>>
>> On Fri, Aug 8, 2008 at 3:34 PM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org
>> <mailto:mail-lists at karan.org>> wrote:
>>
>>    Rudi Ahlers wrote:
>>
>>        Hi all
>>
>>        Can someone please tell me how to monitor each VM's traffic on a
>>        CentOS
>>        5.2 server, running either Xen or OpenVZ? I need to bill my
>>        users for
>>        the traffic they use, and would like to have a traffic usage
>>        graph for
>>        each Xen / OpenVZ Virtual Machine on the server.
>>

>>    if you look at how xen sets up the Vif interfaces, you will note
>>    that its quite trivial. just watch the vif as you would an eth
>>    interface.
>>

> You've been on the list long enough to consider trimming your posts and not
> top posting.
>
> also, you seem confused about what a virtual interface is. take a look at
> virsh and see how you can bring up and take down a xen domu while getting
> info on what interfaces its using and how.

Yes, but that's not going to help me. Sure, I can SSH into the server and
see the usage with ifconfig, or virsh as you say - but I can't allow clients
to login into the main server.

I need a way for a client to login to a PHP / MySQL based sytem, which can
show them traffic graphs for their VPS's, and OpenVZ works different from
Xen, so I can't even rely on the Xen stuff.

I'm looking for something similar to Cacti / MRTG - but something that can
graph traffic for each IP / VM on a server

--

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers