[CentOS-virt] xen+drbd Question

Aleksandar Ivanisevic aleksandar.ivanisevic at 2e-systems.com
Tue Aug 26 14:02:20 UTC 2008

Hi,

after i've read this post

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.emulators.xen.user/33157/match=re+xen+drbd

I've given up on xen and drbd disks for now, and am using phy:, but
you'll have to give it drbd device not the volume

disk = [ "phy:/dev/drbd14,xvda,w" ]

Unfortunately, that means that you'll have to handle setting drbd
devices primary/secondary yourself. I've written a wrapper script around
drbdadm+xm and it has been working more or less ok.

That also means no live migration since drbd device needs to change
state sometime mid-migration, but save/move/restore has been working ok
for me with really minimal downtimes.

There is also a primary/primary setup with newer drbd but it was awfully
unstable when i was testing it a few moths ago, most of the time it was
crashing and taking down the complete cluster with it.

regards,

Alexandre Biancalana wrote:
> Hi list,
>
>  I installed two new servers to be our virtualization HA. This servers
> have CentOS 5.2, Xen 3.0.3, Drbd 8.2.6. The setup is ok, lvm drbd
> resources sincronizing, Guest VM running without any problem.
>
> My only doubt is that I can only use drbd resources inside guest vms
> when I specify the disk resource in vms config like this:
>
> disk   = ['phy:/dev/VolGroup00/vappprtem01,hda,w' ]
>
> if I specify de disk like:
>
> disk   = [drbd:vappprtem01,hda,w' ]
>
> The Guest VM found the disk but this appear with zero size.
>
> As far what I read the second way is the correct to live migration
> work without any race condiction...
>
> This link say that centos has a problem with block-drbd script
> provided by drbd, is anybody aware of that ?
>
> http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-users/2008-08/msg00176.html
>
> Any hints ?
>
> Best Regards,

Aleksandar Ivanisevic
Support Manager
2e Systems

Tel: +49 - 6196 - 950 58 14
Fax: +49 - 6196 - 950 58 94
E-mail: Aleksandar.Ivanisevic at 2e-systems.com

Address: 2e Systems GmbH, Im Taubengrund 12, D-65451 Kelsterbach
Company registration: Amtsgericht Darmstadt (Germany), HRB 84110
Directors: Philip Douglas, Alistair Forbes

http://www.2e-systems.com - making your business fly!