[CentOS-virt] tick divider bugs

Allen Tsang atsang at advance.net
Mon May 5 09:06:23 UTC 2008

Hey folks,

By Paravirtualization, I mean the installation of "tools" or "guest
additions" type packages, which present virtual interfaces to the guest
OS.  So in VMware, a component of this would mean setting
"ethernet0.virtualDev = vmxnet", and having the tools modules
pre-installed.  A fully virtualized OS for VMware would support all that
crap.

 From Wikipedia:
"""
In computing, paravirtualization is a virtualization technique that
presents a software interface to virtual machines that is similar but
not identical to that of the underlying hardware.

Paravirtualization may allow the virtual machine monitor (VMM) to be
simpler or virtual machines that run on it to achieve performance closer
to non-virtualized hardware. However, operating systems must be
explicitly ported to run on top of a paravirtualized VMM. Owners of
proprietary operating systems may decline to allow paravirtualization
for strategic purposes.
"""

I'm neurotic about paravirtualization because, well, we roll our
organization's production systems on VMs, so I want minimal performance
hit if possible across the board.  I'm sure some of you are thinking
right now how foolish I am for doing this.  In reality, cost savings in
labor through all of the flexibilities of a fully virtualized
environment is more important to us than raw performance and low latency.

One problem with setting your VM template to utilize virtualDevices in a
production environment currently is the inability to PXE boot the
machine to provision your host, because no commerical distro or
operating system I know of, Linux, BSD, Solaris or otherwise, currently
offers an out-of-the-box module support for virtualization in their
install initrd, for various licensing and technical reasons (the
open-vm-tools effort would likely solve this in the near future).  OHAI
Trolls who can't read: YES YOU *CAN* PXEBOOT w/VMXNET (NOT
VMXNET-ENHANCED), BUT YOUR INSTALL FAILS BECAUSE IT CAN'T FIND A
"DRIVER" FOR 'VMXNET'.

I know of tru's efforts and others on this front and I really appreciate
the knowledge they have brought to the table, but I feel that it's about
time that some dedicated entity step in and 'solve' this problem (we've
written kickstart+firstboot-type scripts that eliminate the 'work' of
managing hundreds of VMs and their installation of tools, but through
the whole process we have wished for Our Favorite Community Enterprise
OS to support this stuff OOB so we didn't need to do the work.  Lazy
Sysadmins are lazy).  One man cannot keep such a beast up to date; it
needs to be a dedicated effort or project.  The complexity of 'doing VMs
right' is getting to the point where it requires a virtualization expert
to be staffed (consider the ever-present Time Sync Issue, which requires
customization on the Host configuration AND the Guest OS).  This is
unacceptable; we either need virtualization software that is a little
more clever or we have to step in on the application layer and have the
OS live closer to the host hardware.  Also, there's a great deal of
untapped potential in having at least a greater set of conservative
message passing between the Guest OS and Host / VM Infrastructure,
shared storage amongst different hosts over the attached SAN, etc etc...
skies the limit.

This might be a direction that Big Mommy RedHat should/would eventually
take.  I'm not a big fan of CentOS mini-forks of kernels myself (e.g.
centosplus, -vm, etc), since it kinda defeats the 'point' if you know
what I mean.

/me crosses fingers that Sun + InnoTek makes a really kickass VirtualBox
for the Enterprise that develops a much better solution, or better yet,
a *truly* embedded virtualization solution (Hey, anyone from Sun
Engineering on this mailing list?  Imagine memory and storage pooling on
the hardware layer over something like infiniband, guys).

Then again, cloud computing, future is bright, sunglasses + igloos,
teotwawki, lol.

- allen tsang