[CentOS-virt] Virtuozzo & GFS

Scott Dowdle dowdle at montanalinux.org
Sat May 31 15:56:07 UTC 2008

James,

----- "James Thompson" <james at ubercart.org> wrote:
> I have just finished deploying two Dell PowerEdge 1950s with CentOS
> 5.1 and Virtuozzo 4. GFS is up and running and Virtuozzo is configured
> for shared-storage clustering. Everything works adequately but I am
> wondering if anyone else has experienced load issues like I am seeing.
> I have three VEs/VMs running, two on one node and one on the other
> node. One of the VEs on each node are doing very little (one is just
> idling with apache and mysql and the other is running rsync every six
> hours). The other is running Zimbra. Every so often load will spike on
> the node running the Zimbra VE to as high as 2 or 3 then settle down a
> short while later to around 0.8 or 0.9. During the spikes the node not
> running Zimbra will other see an increase from its idle load of 0.4 or
> so up to as high as 1.7 as I have seen. I notice when running top that
> dlm_send and dlm_recv will jump to the top fairly frequently when
> these load spikes occur.
>
> What I am wondering is whether anyone else has experienced these kind
> of load scenarios with GFS and what they have done to deal with them?
> We are hoping to deploy a bit more densely on this setup so I'd like
> to make any performance adjustments I can at this stage.
>
> Thanks,
> James Thompson

A load of 2-3 isn't much at all... so I don't think I'd call that much of a spike.  I have run OpenVZ at work and on a hobby server.  In both cases I have about 7 containers... one of them being Zimbra.  The other 6 containers are fairly busy so the two machines see a decent amount of load.  I am NOT using GFS though.  What is dlm_send and dlm_recv part of?  GFS?

TYL,
--
Scott Dowdle
704 Church Street