[CentOS-virt] WinXP Xen guest: compare VNC vs RDP

Joseph L. Casale JCasale at activenetwerx.com
Wed Apr 22 23:23:10 UTC 2009

> I'm experimenting with using WinXP Xen guests as an alternative to
>upgrading workstations.  The administrative advantages seem overwhelming.

Using the beta opensource parvirt drivers? Performance would be unacceptable
otherwise. On that note, my environment would not permit the unstable nature
of such an exercise...

>  Please share thoughts about using VNC vs RDP for remote desktop
>connections.

RDP will be way faster, not to mention using vnc provides access to the
console which won't have video performance needed.

>  Please share any anecdotal information regarding user reactions and/or
>implementation issues.

There's nothing cooler than Xen, but IMHO opinion I would be using something
a bit more stable for Windows guests, it's not the right tool for >this< job
as far as I am concerned.

YMMV