[CentOS-virt] Slightly OT: FakeRaid or Software Raid

Grant McWilliams grantmasterflash at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 00:51:23 UTC 2009

On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 2:44 PM, Ben M. <centos at rivint.com> wrote:

> Thanks for sharing Grant. Your point about hardware raid is well taken.
> However, the discussion is about Fake-Raid vs. Software RAID1 and
> controller/chipset dependence and portability. The portability of a
> software RAID1 hard drive to an entirely different box is, I have
> learned, much higher and less time consuming.

Portability is no different with a RAID controller as long as you've
standardized on controllers. Our situation is not standard but
hundreds of drives are swapped between machines throughout the month without
an issue. We use RAID sets to transfer large amounts
of data (TBs) between machines. All systems use 3ware 9550 or 9650
controllers though so you throw the set in and rescan an it's there.

Grant McWilliams