[CentOS-virt] Xen, Qemu and Intel VT

Nunzio Losacco nunzio.losacco at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 01:42:07 UTC 2009

Hi everyone,

I need to use full virtualization on my laptop, running CentOS 5.2 as host.
I installed all I think is needed to run Xen. I am using kernel
2.6.18-128el5.xen as it is needed to recognize my wifi card.
I was not sure my cpu supported Intel VT. A cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep flags
yields this:

flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca
cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm syscall nx lm
constant_tsc pni monitor ds_cpl vmx smx est tm2 cx16 xtpr lahf_lm

I guess vmx means VT is supported even if, for my T9600 cpu, it is not
officially stated on Intel website (it is up to T9400).

VT is enabled in the BIos.

When I try to add a virtual machine with virt-manager choosing Xen as
hypervisor, the "enable kernel/hardware acceleration" checkbox is grayed
out. How can I solve this?
Moreover, if I run CentOS on a non-Xen kernel (i.e.: 2.6.18-128el5) I cannot
use xen of course, but if I choose Qemu as hypervisor in virt-manager, the
checkbox is available. How can it be?

Thank you very much for your help,

N.