[CentOS-virt] Migrating from VMWare Workstation

Manuel Wolfshant wolfy at nobugconsulting.ro
Sat Jul 11 01:11:09 UTC 2009

On 07/10/2009 08:34 PM, Peter Hopfgartner wrote:
> Dear virt list
>
> I have some virtual machines running on my notebook under VMWare 6.5.2
> 64 bit that I would like to move to a current 64 bit CentOS 5.3 machine
> with a current Intel Xeon processor. The virtual machines do use the
> GUI, e.g. they are not text only.
>
> Is it better to use VMware server or Xen?

"better" depends strictly on your needs and expertise. It's simpler to
go the vmware server way, since all you have to do is to install the
vmware-server rpm and register the existing VMs with it. By coincidence
I've done exactly that 2 days ago.
OTOH, xen is supported by the centos [and the wider linux] community ,
vmware is supported by others. Choose your poison :)

> If using Xen, do I have to convert the images?

Yes, you do. Most probably you'll need to play at least with
vmware-vdiskmanager