[CentOS-virt] I/O load distribution

Ben Montanelli montanelli at rivint.com
Mon Jul 27 16:12:40 UTC 2009

I am certainly no expert on Xen. I have read through docs and various
threads a bit considering the I/O demands and have the impression that
there are a couple of primary factors to work with (please correct me if
I'm wrong). My comprehension is far from complete.

1 - Select which scheduler, weight and cap to use. Some favor
computation over I/O and vice versa. If your dom's are "fighting" over
disk I/O this is the referee and enforces the rules YOU choose to keep
it "fair" and efficient as possible.

Suggested read, document date apparently Jul-18-2009:
<http://cseweb.ucsd.edu/~dgupta/papers/per07-3sched-xen.pdf>

Xen 3.3 User's Manual
<http://bits.xensource.com/Xen/docs/user.pdf>

2 - Given that you can throw more RAM and CPU at each dom than it needs
(not CPU or memory constrained), I/O hardware is important. Roughly
speaking, the more disk controllers in play, the more bandwidth you
have. Likewise, the faster the disks and perhaps the bigger their caches
the faster they can offload the task. (My experience has shown me that
larger built-in disk cache size substantially improves performance on
email servers.)

3 - From what I have gleaned on forums and lists there may be a
relationship or synergy between the scheduler selected and the type of
disk array in use. HYPOTHETICALLY a RAID1 vs. a RAID5 in a given
situation may show their best performance from different Xen scheduling.

I don't think there is an "answer" for you that is right without you
running tests with your setup and seeing which is best. From what I have
read the I/O operation test should be a task that runs longer than 30
seconds. I would test what I think would be the longest possible
duration and dd a huge file while hammering the other domUs with
simulated "normal" request (e.g. Apache ab running at websites on other
domUs).

YMMV and you may not know what to do until an actual issue arise post
deployment. Compared Scheduler performance can vary in different Xen
releases.

I have not fully investigated changing the scheduling management of
weight and cap using cron/atd type management and allocate more
resources at certain times to different domUs to help them get things
done faster, or conversely to reduce their impact on other domUs when
they are scheduled to be I/O intense.

Usage: xm sched-credit -d <Domain> [-w[=WEIGHT]|-c[=CAP]]

Get/set credit scheduler parameters.
   -d DOMAIN, --domain=DOMAIN     Domain to modify
   -w WEIGHT, --weight=WEIGHT     Weight (int)
   -c CAP, --cap=CAP              Cap (int)