[CentOS-virt] virtualizaton install and xen source compile on CentOS5.2

Manuel Wolfshant wolfy at nobugconsulting.ro
Thu Mar 5 20:22:20 UTC 2009

On 03/05/2009 10:14 PM, Aaron Linnen wrote:
> From: Jerry Amundson <jamundso at gmail.com>
> Date: 03/05/2009 01:27 PM
>
>> On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 8:04 AM, mica fang <micafang at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> Kai Schaetzl  wrote on Thu, Mar 5 13:31:18 UTC 2009

>>> I have followed this http://www.ruslansivak.com/index.cfm/Xen to install
>>> xen-dom0
>>>

>> Those are not the officially released CentOS rpms. Hopefully, someone
>> responds to your comment there.
>>
>> Otherwise, if you do not need Xen 3.2, just "yum groupinstall Virtualization".
>>
>> jerry
>>

> There are also RPMs I've looked at but not yet tried hosted here:
> http://www.gitco.de/repo/
> Has anyone else here given them a try?

I did. My scenario was the following
- host: C5.2/x86_64, fully updated. Needed to run Win XP/32 as VM, with
full access to the parallel port given to a very special Windows driver
(which controls a development board)
- in the guest we have to run a commercial tool based on Eclipse  (Java).

With stock xen, I was unable to transfer control of the parallel port to
the guest. It simply did not see the port, no matter what I have tried
With xen-3.3 from gitco and the same xen config, the port was correctly
identified and could be used from Windows. On the other hand, Java
started to consume 99% of the CPU making the VM impossible to use.

See also
http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-virt/2009-February/000836.html