[CentOS-virt] Backing up a running KVM guest

Kai Schaetzl maillists at conactive.com
Thu Mar 26 13:31:23 UTC 2009

Julian Price wrote on Wed, 25 Mar 2009 18:59:04 +0000:

> Thanks for the suggestion.

Another one, although I'm sure that some will loudly protest about it :-)
I've had excellent results with rsyncing the complete content of Xen VMs
to other Xen VMs. It works flawlessly even for MySQL database in full
swing. Maybe it makes a difference if you use InnoDB, I'm using MyISAM
whereever I can for reasons of speed and robustness. I've rsynced even
heavy use servers with no problems (did a lot of tests to make sure the
results worked).
Before doing it this way I checked out the LVM snapshot options (e.g.
mount a snapshot and rsync that snapshot) as this is usually recommended
but found them not really fitting me.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany