[CentOS-virt] Testing new Xen Version and rollback.

Thu Oct 8 13:38:46 UTC 2009

Ben M. wrote on 10/06/2009 01:24 PM:
> I have a "fairly" stable Xen (CentOS 5.3 "standard" 3.1.x Xen) install
> that I want to put into production within the next two weeks or so.
>
> I have some small (so far non-fatal) issues and tweaks that Xen 3.4.x
> may address. E.g. AMD x64 IOMMU bios read, GPLPV PCI connection, HPET
> clock, better GPLPV handling, and some others.
>
> My question is: that if I follow the directions at stacklet.com
> (<http://stacklet.com/downloads/kernel>) to load up Xen 3.4 can/will
> depmod overwrite dependencies needed for my "standard" Xen kernel that
> will not be available by a simple edit of grub.conf to restore the
> "standard" Xen kernel. I'm not familiar with depmod's actions.

You shouldn't have to worry about depmod - it will only operate on the
current running kernel, or the one you explicitly tell it to, and there
should be no direct interaction with GRUB.  I'd be much more worried
about installing tarballs onto an RPM based system, as Stacklet seems to
want to do from my brief look at the site you referenced.  Be sure you
have a good backup before proceeding with that.

Phil