[CentOS-virt] Move Windows within an LV to another pv safely

Ben M. centos at rivint.com
Mon Oct 26 03:46:41 UTC 2009

What a mess that turned out to be. Hey, maybe it was your "awesome
numbering" <ducking and running>. jk, probably because I forgot to take
some meds today or something.

I run into an occasional issue with dropping temp pv's assigned to vg's
to move things around. I've learned to do pvck, vgck, lvscan, etc. to
make sure everything in order whenever I do anything related to lvm.
Occasionally I get "vg corruption" wherein the IUD is still being sought
and I have to "vgreduce --removemissing <vgname>" to make sure all is
clean. If I reboot with that in the root containing vg, I hang on boot
and lose remote access (no serial hookup yet, planned for next machine).

Oh, the dd quit on me before complete. Is it okay making the target lv
bigger than the source when I try it again or does it have to be exact?
I need some extra disk space in that xen vm too.