[CentOS-virt] RHEL 5.5 Xen fixes

Pasi Kärkkäinen pasik at iki.fi
Thu Apr 1 07:07:47 UTC 2010

On Thu, Apr 01, 2010 at 09:19:34AM +1100, Norman Gaywood wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 11:28:56PM +0300, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
> > On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 03:43:38PM -0400, Grant McWilliams wrote:
> > >    Are these changes in the kernel or changes to the installed Xen? I'm
> > >    wondering if this effects anyone using Xen 3.4 or newer.
> >
> > I think they're mixed.. you need to go through the bugzillas to figure out.
> > (and possibly compare to the kernel changelog above).
>
> This may be a dumb/FA question but how do you run Xen 3.4+ with the latest
> Centos kernel?

By using http://gitco.de/repo/ packages. They include only the new hypervisor rpms,
you still use the stock centos dom0 kernel.

> Are there centos/redhat kernels rebuilt with newer Xen or do you have
> to do this yourself?

No need to re-build the kernel.

> I see source for kernel 2.6.18 with Xen 3.4 here:
>
> http://www.xen.org/products/xen_source.html
>
> but that kernel does not have all the fixes that have gone into the
> RH/Centos 2.6.18 kernel.

Yes, http://xenbits.xen.org/linux-2.6.18-xen.hg does have all the latest
xen features and fixes, but it doesn't have driver/security fixes like
rhel/centos kernel has.

-- Pasi