[CentOS-virt] KVM: 'ÿ' character after starting a VM via virt-install

gibbe gabba frequenco at gmail.com
Wed Apr 28 08:05:45 UTC 2010

The hardware is DELL PowerEdge R210 Quad Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X3430  @
2.40GHz (/proc/cpuinfo).

I installed KVM with .RPMs after installing the system with a base Centos
5.4 installation (server).
yum install kvm
yum install virt-install

the kvm and kvm_intel modules are loaded. Also HyperThreading is available
(enabled in BIOS), so KVM isn't complaining about that.

I've tried following Linux distros:

- Centos 5.4
- Fedora 12
- Ubuntu 10
- Sipcat 1.3

All of them have the same problem. I tried both installing from a CD ISO and
from http repositories.