[CentOS-virt] Windows Xen VM's have high guest CPU usage and poor performance

Manuel Wolfshant wolfy at nobugconsulting.ro
Mon Jan 25 19:24:41 UTC 2010

On 01/25/2010 07:28 PM, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 09:03:58PM -0500, Ryan Pugatch wrote:
>
>> Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
>>

>>> Also many people are running Windows 2003 VMs on Xen without problems.
>>>
>>> -- Pasi
>>>

>> My patch management and antivirus console machine is a Xen virtualized
>> Windows 2008 machine that doesn't have problems.  I even moved an XP VM
>> over to the same server as that machine just to see what happens.  The
>> XP machine still performed poorly.
>>

> Ok. The next thing to try would be to update to gitco Xen 3.4.2 rpms,
> but I guess you switched to ESXi already :)
For what is worth, I had several problems with the gitco packages:
- in xen-3.3 .0 , Java starting to consume all the processing power (
the same VM with stock xen from Centos 5.2 was fine in this aspect; see
my thread started at
http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-virt/2009-February/000836.html )
- with xen-3.4.1 and 3.4.2 from gitco, an XP HVM failed to start,
despite working perfectly with stock Centos 5.4