[CentOS-virt] Can I install Slackware 13.1 as Xen-Guest?

compdoc compdoc at hotrodpc.com
Sat Jul 24 13:24:00 EDT 2010

Well, I got slackware running. What a pain. When I first installed it, I had
booted the slackware iso on a test VM that had previously been running
centos. I told slackware to use the existing partitions, one of which was
LVM. That's what caused the kernel panic, I think.

During the installation of slackware, you're dumped to the shell as root and
told to create partitions. So this time, I ran parted to delete the existing
partitons, and then ran cfdisk to create them as outlined in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1uqxI6dVEE

Afterwards, you type 'setup' to do the install.

But it still wouldn't boot. This time it complained the super-block (I think
it was) partition wasn't ext2. Sure enough, the installer defaults to ext4
and I had formatted with that. Slackware doesn't seem to be able to boot
from anything but ext2.

So, I had to install again choosing an ext2 partition, and had it
automatically install LILO to the MBR.

This time it booted and ran a filesystem check, then rebooted and came to a
login prompt. I ran startx to get to the desktop.

I can't say it's very user-friendly. I'd love to know what they're going to
use slackware for.