[CentOS-virt] Can I mix kvm and virtual box?

Todd Deshane deshantm at gmail.com
Sat Nov 13 21:36:12 EST 2010

On Sat, Nov 13, 2010 at 8:32 PM, MargoAndTodd <margoandtodd at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/13/2010 04:29 PM, MargoAndTodd wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> On my customer's CentOS 5.5 x64 server, I have Virtual
>> Box installed.  To make a side by side comparison,
>> I would like to also run KVM.  I read somewhere that this
>> can not be done, but I can not remember where.
>>
>> Am I able to mix the two so I can demonstrate the
>> differences to my customer?
>>
>> Many Thanks,
>> -T
>
> To answer my own question, Virtual Box just laid an egg
> on me and made me remove kvm.
>
> Any one know a way around this?

If you manually install virtualbox, you can unload the kvm module
manually and load the virtual box modules. You can't have both loaded
at the same time (at least not that I know of), but you can unload
one and load the other.

I am pretty sure that there was at least talk, from the KVM side, to
try be able to be aware of other hypervisors, such as virtualbox and
handle things gracefully. I haven't heard if any code was developed or
not though.

Hope that helps.

Thanks,
Todd