[CentOS-virt] KVM instance keep crashing

Eric Searcy emsearcy at gmail.com
Sat Oct 16 18:37:13 EDT 2010

On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 2:57 AM, Poh Yong Hwang <yongsan at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> The message log belongs to the guest which will become unresponsive from
> time to time. I have done the following and it report the same both on host
> as well as guest:
> [root at localhost conf]# cat /proc/sys/kernel/tainted
> 65

65 = 1 + 64

 1 - A module with a non-GPL license has been loaded, this
       includes modules with no license.
  64 - The user has asked that the system be marked "tainted".  This
       could be because they are running software that directly modifies
       the hardware, or for other reasons.

So, you won't be able to get any help from kernel people (probably)
unless you can reproduce the problem without any binary kernel
modules.

http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/technical-advisory-board-tab/kerneldriverstatement
http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/technical-advisory-board-tab/driverqa

Look up some of GregKH's keynote addresses for more background.

Eric