[CentOS-virt] Centos-6, LVM and KVM guest image

James B. Byrne byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca
Mon Aug 29 17:09:56 EDT 2011

CentOS-6.0

I created an lv (120 Gb) to hold the image of a KVM guest instance.
I mounted this at /var/lib/libvirt/images/lv_guest01.  When I do a
df I see the lv is mounted at the desired location.

When I run the virtual machine manager from the desktop I am given
the option to install the image into the root directory tree or to
browse for an alternative location.  When I browse to the mount
point of the lv then the virtual machine manger becomes
non-responsive and I get a swirling circular pattern in the right
hand pane of the file browser.

In CentOS-5.6 I was able to create and mount new lvs and then
install kvm guests into them through the virtual machine manager.
On CentOS-6, even though I added an lv containing 120Gb I am only
given the option to create a new volume in the original root
location, which itself is a lv, albeit of just 64 Gb.  I do not see
the additional storage.  What step am I missing here?

Canada  L8E 3C3