[CentOS-virt] "CentOS on a stick"

Dennis Jacobfeuerborn dennisml at conversis.de
Thu Jul 7 17:37:03 EDT 2011

Hi,
I'm looking into setting up a redundant firewall and I'm wondering how
feasible it is to use an USB stick as the only storage device in these
systems (i.e. no HDs).
The logs will go to a remote logging server but I'm wondering what else
needs to be changed to make something like this possible.

The idea is to have both systems running independent of each other with the
iptables rules being manually kept in sync and conntrackd syncing the
connection tracking data.

Has anyone experience with this and how would one go about creating such a
USB drive? So far I've only used USB for installation but not as an actual
root fs itself.

Regards,
   Dennis