[CentOS-virt] P2V of NEtware 3.12 working server to Centos >=5.x

Rajagopal Swaminathan raju.rajsand at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 10:24:34 EDT 2011

Greetings,

On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 12:34 AM, Ed Heron <Ed at heron-ent.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 2011-09-06 at 23:20 +0530, Rajagopal Swaminathan wrote:
>
>  There are so many variables that aren't mentioned...
>
>  Do you currently have a CentOS box running KVM?

I have used centos with KVM,brctrl etc.

>  What does your Netware server currently do?

Just just pure and simple file storage. The worst part of it is The
client has to be a DOS6.22 with some custom ISA base hardware.

>  Netware 3 defaulted to using the IPX protocol for sharing file and
> print services.  Are you still using IPX?  If so, you are looking at a
> significant network reconfiguration.

Indeed. with 802.3 frame etc :)

> There might be lots of changes to client setup and software,

> but look at Samba.  It can be setup with a workgroup for file and print

Now, How to access Samba with Dos 6.22? :p

One main thought that first came to my mind is about the NIC Driver
under KVM I do understand that the Centos5 can present it as different
types of NIC (Intel, Realtek etc.)

I am investigating it further.

> Hopefully, you already have significant CentOS experience.

Last 6 years or so I have worked only Fedora/Centos/RHEL. Since then I
have tried avoid taking calls windows etc.

But this call I took because I have significant experience in netware
too about 10 years 2.2 to 4.10 with NDS etc

> The broad wording of your request might just be language barrier.

I realised that.

I will experiment further share my experience sometime later.

--
Regards,

Rajagopal