[CentOS-virt] Network traffic control/shaping of guest interfaces

Emmanuel Noobadmin centos.admin at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 14:44:05 EDT 2011

On 9/21/11, Nenad Opsenica <nenad at panline.net> wrote:
> I would convert bridged setup on host to the routed one.
> Then you will have several separate interfaces on host, each one used
> for communication with only one guest and it will be easy to attach tc
> to them.

In other words, there's no solution for bridged networking?

How would routed networking impact the guest performance? The reason I
went for bridged was that it was supposed to have the least overheads
and here http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/rhel-linux-kvm-virtualization-bridged-networking-with-libvirt/
said it was required for servers with multiple network cards. Which is
the case here because I have 3 NICs, one each for Internet traffic,
networked storage and user access.

Although, admittedly on hindsight, given the number of users in the
company, it probably isn't going to be noticeable I would still like
to know what kind of impact would it cause. That is assuming routed
networking can work on the server given the NICs in it.