[CentOS-virt] kvm-qemu: unable to execute QEMU command savevm (monitor missing?)

Jason Brian Friedrich mail at friedrich.org.uk
Tue Sep 27 07:48:20 EDT 2011

System: CentOS Linux release 6.0 (final)
Kernel: 2.6.32-71.23.1.el6.x86_64
KVM: QEMU PC emulator version 0.12.1 (qemu-kvm-0.12.1.2)
Libvirt: ibvirtd (libvirt) 0.8.1

Hi everyone,

I only recently subscribed to this list and hope you can shed some
light on the following error. I created a VM on my Centos 6 KVM
machine, used a qcow2 image and wanted to create a snapshot via 'virsh
snapshot-create' command:

//
[root at kvmhost ~]# virsh snapshot-create server01
error: internal error unable to execute QEMU command 'savevm': The
command savevm has not been found
\\

I googled before the post, found some [0] threads [1], but could not
find an answer how to solve the problem. If the kvm-qemu lacks the
support of a savevm monitor, how can I add one? Do I need to recompile
kvm-qemu with special flags or is simply a RPM package or a module
missing?

Thanks in advance,

 - Jason

[0] http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-virt/2011-July/002557.html