[CentOS-virt] KVM - Virtio drivers for Centos 5.1

Lars Hecking lhecking at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Apr 25 17:46:27 EDT 2012

aurfalien writes:
> Hi all,
>
> Really enjoying KVM as I was a long time user of Xen.   Both are cool, just enjoying the new thing.
>
> Wondering if any one could share some nuggets on how to get a Centos 5.1 VM guest to use virtio?
>
> Trying to use virtio over the ide.

 Are you talking about a windows guest?

 Installing the vm with virt-install, use
  --disk path=/path/to/disk,device=disk,bus=virtio \
  --disk path=/tmp/virtio-win-1.1.16.vfd,device=floppy,perms=ro

 The first line specifies the disk for the vm (e.g. C drive), I usually
 use an lvol. The second line specifies the path to the virtual floppy
 drive with the virtio drivers. For xp, you cannot use the cdrom/.iso
 version of same, the xp installer accepts only a floppy (F6, install
 3rd party drivers). Newer windows versions may be able to deal with
 an iso.

 Digimer's tutorial is well worth a read, even if you end up doing something
 entirely different.

  https://alteeve.com/w/2-Node_Red_Hat_KVM_Cluster_Tutorial