[CentOS-virt] Guests pausing suddenly

Peter Hopfgartner peter.hopfgartner at r3-gis.com
Fri Apr 27 03:03:45 EDT 2012

On 04/26/2012 03:32 PM, Benjamin Franz wrote:

> On 04/26/2012 02:29 AM, Peter Hopfgartner wrote:
>> The problem got slightly better when I upgraded all kernels, on host and
>> guest, so that the "MTBF" went from 3-4 days to approx 50. Still, the
>> problem is not solved, yet.
>> A maybe stupid question: If the kernel in the guest sees an I/O error on
>> sda, could this be a real error on the physical disk, even if there are
>> no notices in the physical hosts log files, or is this more of a
>> software problem?
>>
>> As the next step, I'll try to update the physical servers firmware.
>>
>> Any suggestion on this topic is welcome, even more then before.
>>
> This could be being caused by failing areas on the underlaying disk
> drive. Particularly if you are using consumer grade hard drives instead
> of enterprise drives. The most relevant difference here is that consumer
> grade drives can try for up to a couple of minutes to read a bad sector
> and might eventually succeed if the error isn't too egregious while an
> enterprise drive will just quickly report the sector as unreadable and
> move on.

Hallo Benjamin

thanks for your reply.

Isn't it strange, that the log entries are only on the guest VMs, not on
the physical server? I'm not able to give an answer on this, due to my
inexperience on this topic. Can I go and call the Dell assistance and
tell them to handle me 2 new disks, since it is reasonable clear that
one of those disks placed in server is flawed?
Anyway, the machine is a Dell R410 Poweredge server with a hardware RAID
PERC H200 Adapter and 2 600 GB SAS disks in RAID 1.
The "twin" to this machine, that we purched together with this one, does
not show the same behaviour. Anyway, it has a lighter load.

> I would install smartmontools on the physical server and check the SMART
> status of the drive after running a 'long' test.

After some googling I've found how to do this with this RAID controller:

[root at xxx ~]# smartctl -a -T permissive /dev/sg1
smartctl 5.39.1 2010-01-28 r3054 [x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu] (local build)
Copyright (C) 2002-10 by Bruce Allen, http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net

Device: SEAGATE  ST3600057SS      Version: ES64
Serial number: xxxxxxx
Device type: disk
Transport protocol: SAS
Local Time is: Fri Apr 27 08:52:50 2012 CEST
Device supports SMART and is Enabled
Temperature Warning Disabled or Not Supported
SMART Health Status: OK

Current Drive Temperature:     37 C
Drive Trip Temperature:        68 C
Elements in grown defect list: 0
Vendor (Seagate) cache information
   Blocks sent to initiator = 1806551142
   Blocks received from initiator = 1325078948
   Blocks read from cache and sent to initiator = 281977973
   Number of read and write commands whose size <= segment size = 82709392
   Number of read and write commands whose size > segment size = 183965
Vendor (Seagate/Hitachi) factory information
   number of hours powered up = 5526.70
   number of minutes until next internal SMART test = 47

Error counter log:
            Errors Corrected by           Total   Correction
Gigabytes    Total
                ECC          rereads/    errors   algorithm
processed    uncorrected
            fast | delayed   rewrites  corrected  invocations   [10^9
bytes]  errors
read:   77855443        0         0  77855443   77855443
5989.204           0
write:         0        0         0         0          0
66665.246           0
verify: 35799949        0         0  35799949   35799949
3727.548           0

Non-medium error count:        3

SMART Self-test log
Num  Test              Status                 segment  LifeTime
LBA_first_err [SK ASC ASQ]
      Description                              number   (hours)
# 1  Background long   Completed                  16
3                 - [-   -    -]
# 2  Background long   Completed                  16
1                 - [-   -    -]
# 3  Background short  Completed                  16
0                 - [-   -    -]

Long (extended) Self Test duration: 6400 seconds [106.7 minutes]

[root at xxx ~]# smartctl -a -T permissive /dev/sg2
smartctl 5.39.1 2010-01-28 r3054 [x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu] (local build)
Copyright (C) 2002-10 by Bruce Allen, http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net

Device: SEAGATE  ST3600057SS      Version: ES64
Serial number: xxxxxxx
Device type: disk
Transport protocol: SAS
Local Time is: Fri Apr 27 08:57:10 2012 CEST
Device supports SMART and is Enabled
Temperature Warning Disabled or Not Supported
SMART Health Status: OK

Current Drive Temperature:     36 C
Drive Trip Temperature:        68 C
Elements in grown defect list: 0
Vendor (Seagate) cache information
   Blocks sent to initiator = 2858579160
   Blocks received from initiator = 163698761
   Blocks read from cache and sent to initiator = 3391810210
   Number of read and write commands whose size <= segment size = 97415598
   Number of read and write commands whose size > segment size = 183976
Vendor (Seagate/Hitachi) factory information
   number of hours powered up = 5526.82
   number of minutes until next internal SMART test = 40

Error counter log:
            Errors Corrected by           Total   Correction
Gigabytes    Total
                ECC          rereads/    errors   algorithm
processed    uncorrected
            fast | delayed   rewrites  corrected  invocations   [10^9
bytes]  errors
read:   265118506        1         0  265118507   265118507
50649.094           0
write:         0        0         0         0          0
66071.078           0
verify: 19656379        0         0  19656379   19656379
3586.762           0

Non-medium error count:       22

SMART Self-test log
Num  Test              Status                 segment  LifeTime
LBA_first_err [SK ASC ASQ]
      Description                              number   (hours)
# 1  Background long   Completed                  16
3                 - [-   -    -]
# 2  Background long   Completed                  16
# 3  Background short  Completed                  16

Long (extended) Self Test duration: 6400 seconds [106.7 minutes]

How do I interpret these nunbers? To me, they look quite good.

Thanks,

Peter

--
Peter Hopfgartner