[CentOS-virt] Setting up serial ports on kvm guests

Ed Heron Ed at Heron-ent.com
Wed Feb 8 11:06:21 EST 2012

On Tue, 2012-01-31 at 14:01 -0500, James B. Byrne wrote:
> CentOS-6.2
>
> We have a dedicated CentOS-5.7 host used for fax reception
> and transmission that we wish to move to a CentOS-6.2
> virtual guest instance. The CentOS-6.2 virtual host has a
> 4-port serial card installed.

  Consider replacing your multi-serial port card with a VoIP analog
gateway and use a pre-rolled Asterisk with virtual faxmodems, like
Elastix.  Just make sure your codec is high enough quality.  We used to
receive faxes using a dedicated Linux box with a Comtrol Rocketport and
an USRobotics MP8.  We Converted to SIP trunks and managed to get our
faxes in the SIP trunks, as well.

  This will remove the PCI pass-through from the equation.