[CentOS-virt] How many virtual guest 'cpus' can a core duo 'quad' core support

James B. Byrne byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca
Tue Feb 21 15:59:50 EST 2012

CentOS-6.2

What is the maximum number of cpus can I configure for a
single vm guest running on a host with this hardware?

# lscpu
Architecture:          x86_64
CPU op-mode(s):        32-bit, 64-bit
Byte Order:            Little Endian
CPU(s):                4
On-line CPU(s) list:   0-3
Thread(s) per core:    1
Core(s) per socket:    4
CPU socket(s):         1
NUMA node(s):          1
Vendor ID:             GenuineIntel
CPU family:            6
Model:                 23
Stepping:              10
CPU MHz:               1998.000
BogoMIPS:              5331.76
Virtualization:        VT-x
L1d cache:             32K
L1i cache:             32K
L2 cache:              2048K
NUMA node0 CPU(s):     0-3

I ask this because it occurs to me that I may have missed
something fundamental respecting the use of the initialism
CPU vice the term Cores.

Canada  L8E 3C3