[CentOS-virt] server host keys for kvm clones

Manuel Wolfshant wolfy at nobugconsulting.ro
Thu Jan 5 14:02:06 EST 2012

On 01/05/2012 07:46 PM, Ed Heron wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-01-05 at 18:15 +0200, Manuel Wolfshant wrote:
>> ... It depends heavily on the ending result . If you just need a fresh
>> machine, installing from fresh is ( was for me at least ) the fastest
>> way. OTOH when you also have a ton of additional applications (maybe not
>> all of them available as rpm packages) installed / configured... things
>> might be different.
>    I can accept that custom applications might be easier to include
> in images.  Creating a RPM or install script for a rarely installed
> program may not make the top of the priority list.  However, if it is
> installed identically on multiple systems, it could be converted to rpm
> or a scripted install, which could be included in an automated clean
> install.  As an example, I uuencode my current DHCP configuration, DNS
> files, firewall rules and openvpn certificates into a kickstart file to
> cleanly install my firewalls.  Each is different but is scripted, partly
> in the scripts that create my kickstart files and partly in the
> kickstart post section.
My colleagues from the engineering dept ( I am IT... ) have to use a
commercial application which comes as 2  CD images plus 3 sets of 2 isos
with updates. All of which have to be installed (at last theoretically )
one after the other and only via their own Java-based installer.
Guess who is not going to rpm-ize the process of installing that 8*450
MB piece of wonderful software.

And by the way, there are 50% chances that this piece of software was
used in the process of design of your phone. At least if the phone was
engineered after 2000.