[CentOS-virt] freebsd as kvm guest

mattias mj at mjw.se
Mon Apr 29 18:34:59 UTC 2013

thanks for the image
Now lets's see

-----Ursprungligt meddelande-----
Från: centos-virt-bounces at centos.org
[mailto:centos-virt-bounces at centos.org] För Nux!
Skickat: den 29 april 2013 20:27
Till: centos-virt at centos.org
Ämne: Re: [CentOS-virt] freebsd as kvm guest

On 29.04.2013 18:54, Ilya Ponetayev wrote:
> I have about ten installations of pfSense 2 in CentOS/KVM as FreeBSD
> 8.x
> profile and experience no problems except significant CPU load at
> 50-100
> Mbps stream shaping/routing/filtering (about 50-60% of one Penitum
> G630
> core at 75 MBps), but this is because of e1000 nics emulation (freebsd
> 8.x in pfsense 2 has no virtio drivers included as I can remember).

I too wanted to use PFSense on KVM/EL6 but network performance was
disappointing. My network engineers reverted to using VMware ESXi for
the time being.
My hope is with Fbsd 10 which includes virtio drivers by default (and
also has a SMP friendly PF :> ).

BTW, here's a QCOW2 of it, import image as RHEL6 profile (has all the
virtio stuff):
http://li.nux.ro/download/openstack/images/fbsd10-snap-20130316-r248381-
TESTING.qcow2

The root passwd is "password" so change it ASAP!

Even with this image I could not saturate 1 Gbps link (just rudimentary
test with "fetch -o /dev/null"), but it's still an improvement.

Nux!
www.nux.ro