[CentOS-virt] Windows Direct-X and Virtualization

SilverTip257 silvertip257 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 2 00:16:52 UTC 2013

On Fri, Feb 1, 2013 at 3:44 PM, Robert Dinse <nanook at eskimo.com> wrote:

>      Is there anyway to run a Windows machine as a virtual machine and have
> direct-X display on the host console in full screen mode?  If anyone has
> this
> working can you tell me what hardware, drivers, etc you are using?  Thank
> you.

There's a driver other than the default video driver (Cirrus? I think) that
is supposed to be quicker for Windows (I can't seem to find the materials I
read months ago).  In testing I found that this driver wouldn't support
higher resolutions, so I abandoned it.  I don't run Windows VMs in
production, so I've not experimented much with it in KVM.

What I'm reading is that Direct-X support is iffy. [0] [1]

[0] http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=280013
[1]
http://penguininside.blogspot.com/2009/06/getting-3d-acceleration-on-virtualbox.html

Maybe someone will speak up who has worked with Windows on KVM quite a bit
more than I have.

Mike
//  SilverTip257  //